Thursday, October 14, 2010

My Favorite Breakfast

A few months ago Nathan and I flew out to beautiful British Columbia for a wedding reception. We weren't sure where to stay since the bride and grooms place was full of siblings and pretty much ground zero for planning and decorations. This was when I had my first exposure to a real Bed & Breakfast.

Now I'm not talking like Motel 6 or La Quinta Inn with it's little breakfast of cereal and doughnuts. This place was literally a place to sleep and relax with the most amazing breakfasts each morning. We found the place on the Internet and we weren't really sure what we were going to find. It didn't look super glamorous but the reviews were great and the price didn't hurt either!

Well we soon found out that this B&B was run by a nice older couple. The husband was from Scotland and the wife from BC and the reason they had the B&B was because she loved to cook. They had renovated the basement and that's where the guests stayed. The rest of the house upstairs was full on antiques from when the area was settled with plaques describing each item and the time period it came from. The breakfast table overlooked their backyard which was full of trees and plants and flowers. My favorite part was all the fresh herb she grew right there from different kinds of parsley to mint to chives and asparagus. so cool!!! Did you know that asparagus grown right out of the ground in a single stalk??? I loved walking past her asparagus garden everyday! The only way I could describe this place was wonderfully quaint.

Each morning the hostess would prepare the most delicious breakfasts! Two of the days we came upstairs to find fresh scones baked that morning with homemade jam and butter, and that was just the precursor. My favorite breakfast she made was probably her glazed pear crapes with homemade whipped cream and powdered sugar. My mouth waters just thinking of it! Along with my first experience at a B&B it was my first real experience eating yogurt parfaits. Along with those fresh scones we always were served a fresh fruit cup or parfait. I'm pretty sure she made her own granola but it was so yummy! Ever since then, I've made my own fruit parfaits in the morning for breakfast. I buy strawberries, cantaloupe, honey dew, kiwi's and berries. Then I cut them up bite sized and grab some low-fat strawberry yogurt and granola and mix it all together. It really is one of the best parts of my day and it's pretty healthy as well!

Sadly I can't remember the name of the B&B. If I think of it I'll have to post it but I absolutely love my yogurt parfaits each morning!! And I'm determined to start growing all my own herbs! If I thought I could get asparagus to grow here I totally would do that too!!

For the recipe to my parfait, click the link to "Kina's Recipes"

2 comments:

Emily said...

Wow, that sounds amazing! I looove a good breakfast.

Shirley said...

Kina, I hope you do remember the name of that B&B! Now that Shawn is in Vancouver, we need to get out that way. This place sounds wonderful!